Leading People and Investing to Build Sustainable Communities is a collaboration among Harvard Business School (HBS), NAFOA, National Congress of America Indians (NCAI) and AFOA Canada. Its mission is to inspire and support Native finance professionals and leaders, as well as equip them with the tools to lead high-performing, innovative communities or organizations.
Developed under the guidance of HBS Executive Education, Leading People and Investing to Build Sustainable Communities is the only Executive Education program of its kind in North America. Together, esteemed HBS faculty, Native guest speakers who are knowledgeable in their fields, and participants from Native nations in Canada and the United States embark on the HBS campus for four days for a truly transformative experience.
Over five years, this executive-level program aims to enroll approximately 400 Native finance professionals and leaders from across North America. As part of this year’s customized cohort of approximately 80 participants, you will have the opportunity to engage in interactive and participatory sessions and hear diverse perspectives from your peers.
Admission to the program is highly competitive. Applicants will be selected based on the quality of their application and professional experience. At the program’s conclusion, participants will receive a Certificate of Completion from Harvard Business School.
This program provides you with the opportunity to view community investments in a broader context. While it is important to understand investment tools, strategies and products, it is equally important to understand how governance practices can shape the management of investments. By examining different institutions and covering topics such as, entrepreneurial finance, negotiations and change management, this program provides a solid grounding in the fundamentals of investment management. You will build the skills and confidence to immediately apply financial analysis techniques, set realistic performance goals, and play a bigger role in helping your community optimize its financial resources and strengthen its sustainability.
Dates: May 4 - 8, 2020
Location: HBS Campus
LEARNING AND LIVING AT HBS
When you participate in an Executive Education program on the HBS campus, you enter an immersive experience where every aspect of the learning model has been carefully designed to facilitate your growth. Your learning will take place on your own, in your living group, and in the larger classroom driven by the renowned HBS case method.
The program will cover the following topics:
· Make informed decisions about different approaches to portfolio management.
· Implement effective governance structures.
· Utilize valuation techniques for assessing investment opportunities.
· Develop a framework for evaluating early stage ventures.
· Make informed decisions about how incorporate different assets into your portfolio.
· Identify effective ways of engaging with diverse and numerous stakeholders.
· Utilize frameworks for effective negotiation independently and within a team.
· Develop effective strategies for leading complex and dynamic organizations.
· Enhance your leadership capabilities and develop strategies to enact positive change in your community.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
· Tribal government leaders including, Chief, Chairperson, Treasurer, Chief of Staff, and Senior Administrators.
· Finance professionals including, Chief Financial Officers, Executive Officers, Senior Financial Managers, and Senior Accounting Staff with experience working in or with a tribal nation or Native organization.
ADMISSIONS CRITERIA AND PROCESS
Applications and more information will be available in early 2020.