Senior Director of Finance
Posted about 2 months ago
The Senior Director of Finance leads all financial activity of Derby City Gaming (the “Property”) involving accounting, financial analysis, cash operations, revenue audit and purchasing. They manage the timely preparation and interpretation of financial reports and establish and maintain the necessary internal controls required to safeguard the property’s assets and their integrity in compliance with gaming and other State and Federal regulations and established accounting and financial standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all financial operations and direct financial planning and structure for HRM, Food and Beverage operations.
- Oversee all Purchasing and Warehouse/Receiving operations
- Oversee all Casino Cage/Guest Service Center operations
- Oversee all Revenue Audit and Count Room functions
- Prepare short and long term financial forecasts of financial performance for use with internal Property and corporate management and external parties.
- Develop, implement, and maintain accounting policies and procedures for a wide ranging set of activities including financial accounting and reporting.
- Proficiency in all aspects of accounting and all pertinent GAAP, SEC rules and regulations and compliance.
- Serve as the primary financial support for the Property, providing financial information to the department heads, assisting with the preparation of various financial analyses and reporting as the department heads participate in reviews during the year and coordinate preparation of their annual operating plans.
- Coordinate and lead the annual strategic planning process including the coordination of the annual operating and capital budget. Challenge Property and departmental management to maximize departmental performance while minimizing costs. Create activity based budgets that can be easily tracked and monitored against actual performance.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results and assist in the preparation of the consolidated internal reporting package for the Property. Meet monthly with each department to review performance to budget and prior year. Challenge departments that are falling short of expected performance.
- Review and analyze detail results from the non-gaming operations to determine if pricing, utilization and cost structure are properly established and maintained.
- Assist with the preparation of ad-hoc reporting and other special reporting as needed by the management team. Develop conclusions/opinions based on analysis and be prepared to challenge the management team to make decisions that will improve the overall financial health of the Property.
- Work closely with key management of the Property to understand their business and the related developments. In connection, push these individuals toward more transparency and challenge them to be fiscally responsible.
- Identify process improvement opportunities, including those related to automation through the use of available technologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance required. Master’s degree preferred.
- CPA preferred
- Casino gaming and pari-mutuel experience preferred
- A minimum of 8 years experience in accounting, financial reporting and analysis.
- General ledger experience required.
- Excellent analytical, financial, problem solving, and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong demonstrated management and leadership skills including ability to lead a diverse team.
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and summarize data.
- Excellent financial acumen and thorough knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
- Willingness and ability to pass suitability requirements of a gaming licensing body, including submission of detailed background and financial data.
- Detail oriented, professional demeanor, strong organization and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with senior / executive management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication / presentation skills.
- Strong work ethic and ability to cultivate working relationships throughout the organization.